Search This Blog

Thursday, October 16, 2014

Dragons

Hey, guys!

It's going to be a long day tomorrow, but I promised you guys a book review. It might not be as long as usual since I haven't read the book in a while, but I hope you still like it.

The first hard-core fantasy book I've ever read would probably be Eragon by Christopher Paolini. I'm pretty sure I was either in eighth grade or my freshman year of high school when I read it.

Eragon is a young man from the village of Carvahall in the Empire's kingdom lead by King Galbatorix. Galbatorix's kingdom is separate from the kingdoms of dwarves and elves in far-off lands that Eragon has only heard about in stories told by the local bard, Brom. His only family are his uncle Garrow and his cousin, Roran.

One day while hunting in the Spine, Galbatorix comes across a strange stone in the meadow. Having been unable to hunt any substantial game, Eragon takes the stone in hopes that its precious appearance could be worth something.

After a few days of sitting in his room, the stone - or should I say egg - hatches and a small blue dragon is born.

Eragon raises his dragon, Seraphina, in secret until she's too big to hide. That's when Galbatorix's men come for Eragon, murdering his uncle in the process.

With Brom as an ally, Eragon manages to escape the village (which is left in turmoil).

The truth comes out that the stories that Brom had been telling all those years turned out to be more than just stories; they're really legends.

There was a time hundreds of years ago when dragons and elves were at war with each other. Dragons were seen as barbaric animals and elves as cruel abusers. That is until a bond was formed between an elf and a dragon. The dragons were recognized as intelligent creatures and elves as capable of kindness.

The war was over, a treaty created, and dragons and their Riders enjoyed a time of peace. That is until Galbatorix, at the time a Dragon Rider, lost his dragon in battle and stole a new dragon. He was punished, but that didn't stop him from starting a campaign to extinguish the race of dragons.

He almost succeeded, but aside from the dragons of Galbatorix's men, only three dragon eggs remained in existence. Two of them were with the elves for safe-keeping. One went missing.

The one that went missing was Seraphina's egg, and she found her rider.

Now Eragon must travel to the city of Farthen Dur, where a resistance is laying in wait to overthrow Galbatorix. But with a bounty on his head and a dragon still too young to ride, will Eragon, a mere farmer from a small village, be able to meet these expectations?

I'll have to be honest with you, guys: when I first read this, I wasn't very into it. Maybe I just wasn't mature enough for such heavy reading, but I was bored. I will say, however, that I have since read the second and third installments of the series, and I was enthralled.

I have yet to read the final book, so no spoilers! I do plan on reading Inheritance eventually when I have time to do so. Don't blame me, it's a really big book. Have you seen the size of that thing?

If you would like to read reviews for the second and third installments of The Inheritance Cycle, I will post those in the following weeks. For those of you who don't know, the second book is Eldest, the third book is Brisingr.

Hope you enjoyed the review and that you'll check back for Monday's writing exercise.

Happy reading!!

No comments:

Post a Comment