Search This Blog

Sunday, March 23, 2014

Library date!

Hey, guys!
So, about a week ago, my boyfriend and I were trying to figure out what to do the next day since we were still getting cold weather and neither of us had money to burn, so we knew that anything out-doorsy or expensive was out. Since we both like to read, I suggested going to the library. Guess what we did the next day.
Since I have a card for my local library, we walked out of there with five books each. My boyfriend, of course, insisted on carrying my books to the car and I insisted on carrying at least one of my books. Try picturing him walking through a downtown area carrying a stack of nine books. You had to be there.
So anyway, one of the books I checked out was a book that my boyfriend was fond of when he was in middle school and he suggested it to me. That's putting it lightly. Once he found the book, he thrust it at me and said, "You have to read this!" So of course I had to promise to read that one first.
Having just finished The Last Apprentice: Revenge of the Witch by Joseph Delaney, I figured I'd write a review for it. First of all, this is a book that is definitely geared towards a middle school audience, but I still found it enjoyable. Anybody who likes fantasy or reading about witches and ghosts and other creatures of the night, I highly recommend this book.
This is about Tom, the seventh son of a seventh son, who becomes apprentice to the Spook, the man who protects everybody from things that go bump in the night. And according to his mother, Tom will be the last apprentice (hence the title) because he is destined to become the new Spook.
So if you think that this book is just about Tom learning the ropes, think again. As it turns out, Tom has to learn at a pretty fast pace because, of the three witches that the Spook has defeated, one - Mother Malkin - is still alive and kept prisoner on the Spook's property. Just a little too close for comfort for Tom. Not only that, but Tom has to keep his guard up around a girl named Alice. Beware the pointy shoes! If you want to know what I mean by that, why not read the book? It's not Stephen King scary, but there were a few parts that gave me the creeps.
If there's a book that you'd like me to write a review about, feel free to leave a comment with the title and author and I'll check it out when I get the chance. If there's someone you know who might enjoy my blog, why not let them know? I'd really appreciate it :) Check back in sometime this week for a new post!
Happy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment