Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Writing Exercise: Six Word Story

Hey, guys!

Time for a new writing exercise. Recently, I learned of a super super short story known as a six word story. This is basically just a sentence or two composed only of six words that still conveys a story.

A famous six word story is by Ernest Hemingway: "For sale: baby shoes, never worn."

Isn't that the saddest thing you've ever read? Well, fortunately they aren't all sad. We recently started a creative writing club on campus and wrote six word stories as a writing exercise. Basically, we would pick a word and see what we come up with.

As an example, one of my words was "haunted."

My story: Exhalation on back of the neck.

Creepy, right? So, I'm just going to list a bunch of words for you guys to pick from. See if you can make a six word story using the word or just basing the story off of the word. And it doesn't have to be sad or creepy.

1) Fall

2) Pie

3) Salt

4) Wave

5) Plant

If you already have one in mind that doesn't relate to anything I just listed, don't let me tell you what to do. This is just to give you guys some ideas.

And since this is such a short exercise, why not post some of your six word stories in the comments? I'd love to see them and I'm sure everybody else would.

Happy writing!!

No comments:

Post a Comment