Search This Blog

Thursday, January 15, 2015

Creepy Painting

Hey, guys!

Sorry, I know I owe you guys a book review, and that's what I'm going to give you.

One of the library books I picked up and just finished reading is Oscar Wilde's The Picture of Dorian Gray. I remember one of my teachers in high school had recommended it to me (either that or A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man by James Joyce . . . I honestly don't remember). Either way, I enjoyed Wilde's novel.

The three main characters that are most useful to know are Dorian Gray (duh), Basil Hallward, and Lord Henry (also known to his friends as Harry). Dorian is a young man, remarkable because of his good looks. Basil is a painter who is great friends with his model, Dorian.

Dorian's more than Basil's model; he's Basil's muse. Basil has the sense that all of his work became true art once his life was touched by Dorian Gray.

And, finally, there's Lord Henry, a cynical, narcissistic man who believes that youth and beauty (as opposed to goodness) are the most enviable qualities. That's why he believes that Dorian Gray should take advantage of life while he's still young. And when I say "take advantage of life", I don't mean in a good way.

So, after Basil finishes a beautiful portrait of Dorian Gray, Dorian remembers Harry's words and wishes that he would stay young and beautiful while the portrait grew old.

Wish granted.

Not only does the portrait bear the marks of age, but also the marks of sin. Thus, since Dorian is relieved of the burden of the consequences while the portrait stays hidden away, he takes Harry's advice and takes life for everything it has.

After briefly falling in love with an actress who turns out to be (in his opinion) a total disappointment, Dorian spends the next several years chasing every girl under the sun and evidently making frequent stops at opium dens along the way.

All the while, his portrait bears the mark of his shame while anyone who sees Dorian can't help but doubt all those crazy rumors.

But don't worry, Dorian will get his comeuppance.

After reading this book, I still have no idea where my sympathies lie. Harry is too heinous to evoke sympathy and Dorian too easily influenced to make me feel bad for everything that happens to him. I suppose I feel for Basil, but even though his work played such a huge role in the plot, he himself was only knowingly involved for a short time.

I guess with any of these characters, you want to feel bad for them, but they make it exceedingly difficult. Regardless, I enjoyed the book. Dorian's pursuit for beauty as well as his guilt make him very relatable because it speaks to the good and the bad that exists in every human being.

The one obstacle in this novel is the language because it was written a while ago, so you have to make sure to pay attention, but it is possible. I would recommend it to anyone in high school, college, or beyond.

Hope you enjoyed this review.

Happy reading!!

No comments:

Post a Comment