Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 15, 2014

I did it!!

Hey, guys!

I finally finished The Haunting of Alaizabel Cray by Chris Wooding. It really shouldn't have taken me so long to finish, but I'm starting to notice a pattern here.

If a book is chock full of incredible descriptions of scenery, it takes so much more effort for me to focus. The same happened when I read The Great Gatsby and The Scarlet Letter. And I'm not saying that those types of descriptions are bad. In fact, they're beautiful. I don't know what it is, but it just makes it harder for me to focus. Which is extremely frustrating.

Anyway, you guys have waited this long.

So, based solely on the title, the first question you guys have got to be asking is "Who is Alaizabel Cray, and why is she so important that her name is in the title?" Excellent question, guys. But I'll get to that in a second.

In the Victorian Era, a war known as the Vernichtung has ravaged London and just as the city is starting to get back on its feet, the wych-kin appear. Nobody knows what they are or where they come from or how they came to be. All anybody knows is that the wych-kin are the nightmares that have haunted humans for centuries.

And where there are wych-kin, there are wych-hunters, such as Thaniel and his former mentor, Cathaline. Wych-hunters hold a dangerous occupation and most don't live very long; one mistake could cost a wych-hunter his or her life.

But Thaniel doesn't have to worry about that too much. After all, his father was considered a legend among wych-hunters who taught Thaniel the trade at the age of eight. But being orphaned at such a young age means that Thaniel really only has Cathaline in his life.

That is until he meets the strange Miss Alaizabel Cray while hunting a Cradlejack one night. She is frightened and weak when he finds her. He and Cathaline take her in until she gets better, but once she's better she doesn't remember anything of her life, not even her parents.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, there have been murders occurring all over London. Who is responsible, you may ask. The notorious Stitch-face? A serial killer who takes the lives of women walking alone at night? Or the rumored high society cult known as The Fraternity? It is a mystery, indeed.

And at the center of it all is none other than Alaizabel Cray. Wych-kin come for her in the night and she has been acting strangely at times. Now, why is that?

I could hint at it, but I believe that it would give too much away. Suffice it to say that unless Thaniel, Cathaline, and Alaizabel can get to the bottom of all of this, the whole world will suffer at the hands of darkness.

This book is action-packed and intriguing. And, although I had some issues focusing on the material, I really did enjoy this book. A clever plot with a fascinating supernatural element to it. I recommend this for middle school ages and up.

This was actually the second book I've read by Chris Wooding. The first time I was exposed to this author's work was Poison, which I think I read in high school. I actually recommended it to my boyfriend and he's reading it now. But if you guys would like to read a review about Poison, I would be happy to write one once I get my book back.

You guys may be interested to know that I have started reading Pet Sematary again by Stephen King and that I am making good progress on that book. I will warn you that it is a long book though. But I'll finish it . . . eventually.

In the meantime, check in for more reviews and lists. Please feel free to comment with book titles or authors that you guys would like me to write reviews for or for general feedback about my blog. Trust me, comments would be very much appreciated.

Happy reading!!

No comments:

Post a Comment