Search This Blog

Friday, July 25, 2014

Never Made the Connection

Hey, guys!!

Sorry that there wasn't a review up yesterday. Still pretty crazy around here, and with my laptop as old as it is, I can't blog on it. Meaning that I have to use my parents computer whenever I'm not busy and whenever my parents aren't using it . . . do you know how difficult that is? Seriously.

Anyway, it's about time I've written a new review, especially since my brother's high school graduation party is tomorrow. So, here we go.

When I was in fourth grade, there was a teacher and a sort of teacher's aide. The teacher's aide would always have a book ready to read out loud to us. For a long while, we listened to her read A Series of Unfortunate Events by Lemony Snicket. Another time, however, she read Bud, Not Buddy by Christopher Paul Curtis.

Unfortunately, she never finished reading it to us. I think it was because it was the end of the year and we didn't have enough time to finish reading it. So, a while later I found the same book at a store or a book fair or something and decided that I would get it so that I could finally found out what happened.

I have no idea how long that book sat on my shelf (unread) after that. Then finally, it started to bug me. So, I picked it up and read it, and found it to be an enjoyable read.

And it wasn't until I wrote a review for So B. It by Sarah Weeks and started thinking about a review for this book that I realized how similar they were in plot. You'll see how.

So, Bud, Not Buddy is a story about a ten-year-old motherless boy during the time of the great depression. He's in a home and all he has to his name is a suitcase full of treasures held closed with a bit of twine.

Bud doesn't know who his father is - or if he is even alive. His only clues are the flyers that his mother kept advertising the famous Herman E. Calloway and his band, the Dusky Devastators of the Depression.

So, after being neglected by his latest foster family, Bud decides to run away to find this Herman E. Calloway, the man who may be his long lost father.

With only his suitcase and Bud Caldwell's Rules and Things for Having a Funner Life and Making a Better Liar Out of Yourself he's on the road in search of Herman E. Calloway.

The reason I said that this book is just like So B. It is because both Bud and Heidi travel great distances to try to find the men whom they believe to be their fathers. Anybody else see the connection?

Anyway, it's a good book, especially if you're into stories from different time periods in American history. I would definitely give it a go.

Okay, so tomorrow is my brother's party, so I will be busy pretty much all day. I'm so sorry that there haven't been many reviews lately, guys. I should be back up to speed next week.

Feel free to leave comments if you have anything on your minds . . . book related, I mean. What do I look like? An online shrink? Because I am totally not.

Until next time :)

Happy reading!!

No comments:

Post a Comment