Search This Blog

Thursday, July 31, 2014

First Sentences

Hey, guys!

I've started reading An Abundance of Katherines by John Green because it was recommended by my brother. I think I may also start reading If I Stay by Gayle Forman on my Kindle before the movie comes out.

In the meantime, this post is a list, but it's for all you writers and aspiring writers out there who don't know where to start. Hopefully this helps.

As a writer, I know that the first sentence in a story is one of the most important. It's the hook, it's what may or may not convince the reader to keep on reading. The first sentence could make or break the story. And the first sentence could also be the inspiration for the story that follows.

So, here I have compiled a list of first sentences to help you get started with a story or scene.


1) As soon as the light from the chandelier filled the room, (insert name here) wished that (he or she) had stayed in the dark.

2) The day (insert name here) died was the day (he or she) tried frog legs for the first time.

3) Rule number one: never eat pickles or chocolate before bed.

4) (Insert name here) only drank on Thanksgiving and New Year's, but tonight (he or she) made an exception.

5) (Insert name here) took the stairs two at a time and grabbed (his or her) car keys.

6) It was five in the morning and no one else was awake.

7) If someone tells you that it's "just a test," they are flat out lying.

8) When I saw the red liquid on the floor in the kitchen, I thought it was just spilled juice.

9) Nobody ever told me.

10) Surely, this was the worst way to bake a cake.


Hope this helps, guys. :)

Happy writing!!

No comments:

Post a Comment