Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Disney Princesses

Hey, guys!

Have I ever told you guys that I love Disney movies? If not, then I'm surprised it took this long. Even when new Disney and Disney/Pixar movies come out in theaters, I have to see it. For a while, my mom told me that the movies I wanted to see seemed too young for me.

I think that at this point, she's gotten used to the idea of having a five-year-old in college.

Anyway, anybody who is a fan of Disney movies has to have some favorite characters and some favorite Disney princesses. Including me.

So, I thought I would make a list of all my favorite Disney princesses/heroines.


1) Belle (Beauty and the Beast)

Okay, first of all, Beauty and the Beast was one of my favorite Disney movies of all time when I was a kid. Belle is my all-time favorite because she is so easy for me to relate to. In case my blog isn't a huge hint, I love reading and I have always shared that with Belle.

Belle also isn't fooled by appearances. Sure, I enjoy a little eye candy as much as the next girl, but I really care about getting to know someone and I really try my best not to judge people.

2) Anna (Frozen)

She may be quick to fall in love and marry a guy right on the spot, but hey, we all have flaws. She's also very hyper, a bit scatter-brained and absent-minded, but she loves her family and she looks out for the ones she loves. Like me! I'm also a bit scatter-brained at times. For example, I'm easily distracted by birds and butterflies.

Anyway, Anna is lovable and often bursts out into song. If that doesn't put her on the spot for favorite Disney princess, then I don't know what will. In addition, she and Merida were the only Disney princesses who looked like crap first thing in the morning. Pay attention, fellas, that's what girls really look like after waking up. Sometimes worse.

3) Rapunzel (Tangled)

I can't believe I had to wait till I was sixteen to find a Disney princess who actually looks like me . . . you know, after Rapunzel's hair was cut. But that's not my only reason for loving Rapunzel. She dreams without holding back and she knows how to protect herself, despite being locked up her whole life.

Plus, she has hair that has the power to heal people. How cool is that?

4) Elsa (Frozen)

What can I say? I love the strong female characters. She wasn't very strong in the beginning though. It's hard to imagine having such amazing powers and being so insecure. But it's not her fault; her parents taught her to fear her potential. And after the accident with Anna . . . yeesh.

But Elsa does unlock her potential and expresses her creativity (an ice palace!) and who can't admire her for that? It's a good message to young girls (and boys) out there: don't hide what you're feeling and express yourself.

5) Megara (Hercules)

If any of you have seen Hercules, you'll know why Meg's on the list. A female counterpart with an attitude and fluency in sarcasm. It'd be easier to count those of us who can't relate to that! Not to mention her aversion to men in the beginning. Oh yeah, I could relate to that in high school. But that's another story.

Meg may be reluctant to love, but she loves with a passion when she lets herself. I feel like when a girl is unsure about whether or not to pursue a guy, she'll have a miniature Anna, Ariel, and Cinderella on one shoulder telling her to go for it and a miniature Meg, Merida, and Elsa on the other shoulder cursing out men as a species.

6) Mulan (Mulan)

The only Disney heroine who was a soldier and a cross-dresser! Talk about a woman with commitment and love for her family. She also manages to be just one of the guys and to get a guy in the process. Not to mention, she has quite the personality.

Mulan is actually my boyfriend's favorite Disney heroine. He loves the movie. And I agree. Mulan's also easy to relate to; who doesn't wonder what their purpose in life is?

7) Tiana (The Princess and the Frog)

Another princess who dares to dream. She's also one of the few who actually works hard for her dream. Try to think of another Disney girl who worked two jobs to save up enough money to start her own restaurant. And the ones who were practically slaves (ahem, Snow White and Cinderella) don't count.

There's also a spark of Megara and Belle in Tiana: a little unwilling to trust men but not impressed by looks. Sure, it's easier to fall for a frog when you are also one yourself, but it's the thought that counts.

8) Merida (Brave)

Unlike Ariel, this is one firey red-head doesn't need a man in her life . . . in fact, correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't Merida and Elsa the only Disney heroines who didn't end up with a guy by the end of the movie? Sure Mulan didn't get married at the end of the first movie, but it was definitely implied that they would end up together.

But anyway, I digress. Not only is Merida an independent princess who stands up for herself, but she is killer with a bow and arrow. She's also not afraid to rip a dress for the sake of comfort. Sure, she makes a dumb mistake all because she's mad at her mom, but she accepts the consequences and fixes her mistake.


Okay, that's all I've got. If any of you would like to share your favorite Disney princesses/heroines, be my guest. I would love to read your guys' lists.

Check in tomorrow for a new review and keep checking for a review on The Haunting of Alaizabel Cray by Chris Wooding.

Happy reading!!

No comments:

Post a Comment