Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 9, 2014

One of my favorite books . . .

Hey, guys!

Sorry, I haven't been posting a lot lately. I promise I'll try to post more frequently. And this time, I have an actual book in mind.

I was first introduced to this book during my senior year of high school when I took a best-sellers English class. The second semester really focused on the "best-seller books" aspect of the course. At the beginning of the second semester, we had a vote on which of the books available to us we would read that semester. One of these books was The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein. I read the first chapter (it was really short) and I was instantly hooked, so of course I listed it as my first choice. Unfortunately, it didn't make the cut and, being the stubborn person that I am, I bought the book on my Kindle as soon as I got home from school that day. Apparently, not many of my classmates were too keen on reading a book that is narrated by a dog.

I'm going to say that if this is the only reservation you would have about reading this book, just keep an open mind about it and you might be surprised by what you read because I would recommend this book for anyone and everyone. For one thing, it's definitely not what you would expect. Enzo is not a hyper dog who gets distracted by every squirrel that walks by. Enzo is telling the story as an old dog, so the narration is mature and "sophisticated" as my English teacher put it. Stein definitely keeps Enzo's voice unique and believable.

Enzo's owner is a race car driver named Denny who dreams of being a professional. The novel is a story of Denny's life as told by Enzo, everything from his marriage to his career and everything that happens in between. And when everything goes wrong, Enzo is the one keeping Denny from going over the edge and from succumbing to all the pressure and stress.

There is a lot that happens in this book and as much as I'd like to talk about it all, I promise not to put any spoilers. I hate spoilers.

As always, if it seems like a book you might enjoy, definitely check it out, it is absolutely one of my favorites. Feel free to leave a comment about this review or about future reviews you'd like to see me publish.

Happy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment