Search This Blog

Thursday, August 14, 2014

Writing Exercise

Hey, guys!

So once while I was at school, I was in the Academic Center with my boyfriend so that he could check his email on one of the computers. While he was occupied, I stared at the world map on the wall above the computers and I was fascinated by all the awesome names of the countries. I was also surprised by the ones I didn't recognize. So I made a list and I got an idea.

Here's a new writing exercise for all you writers out there. Therefore, this post will be short. I do apologize, but I will have another post ready for all you readers by tomorrow. Scout's honor.

So get out a pen and your writing journal.

Find a big map of the world and take some quiet time to examine it (you can use Google Maps if need be, but a paper map at a library would be preferable). While you do that, make a list of all the countries that appeal to you. It could be a list of countries that you've been to, that you dream of visiting, that you're curious about, that you've never heard of, or even that just have cool names.

Once you've made your list, pick one and do a little research if you've never been there yourself. You don't have to have enough information to write a whole dang paper on the country, but if that floats your boat, go right ahead.

Once you're satisfied, use the country you've picked as the setting of a scene or a story and go nuts. What does it look like? What are the people like? What are their customs? What is the culture like? How is the food? What kinds of conflicts could arise? What would a character who lives there or who is travelling there be doing and why?

Rinse, lather, repeat. Do it with the rest of the countries on your list if that is what you desire. I'm going to try this myself once I have the time and a computer of my own to do such research. But I can already tell how much fun it's going to be. I get a warm, fuzzy feeling just thinking about it.

That's all for today. Check back tomorrow for a new book review.

Happy writing!!

No comments:

Post a Comment