Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 13, 2014

My Favorite Author

Hey, guys!

Calling all feminists! I was going to make that my title, but then it occurred to me what a put-off it could be for some people. Because, let's face it, feminists have a bad rep.

Sure, the extremists take it a little too far, I'll give you that. But we're not all bad. Yes, I am a feminist. And by that, I mean that I believe in the true blue definition of equality. Not that women should be superior to men because men have been superior for centuries; I mean that men and women should be equals.

And although we do not live in a perfect world, I believe that we are getting closer and closer to that goal.

You guys are probably wondering what this has to do with reading or writing. Well, it turns out that it has a lot to do with reading and writing. But I won't get into that. All I'm saying is that Beauty Queens by Libba Bray is a pretty feminist text.

Yes, Libba Bray, one of my favorite authors of all time. But don't let all of this talk about feminism put you off, because this book is actually really hilarious.

Essentially, Beauty Queens is Lord of the Flies with girls. Specifically, with the contestants of Miss Teen Dream Beauty Pageant. Satirical, hysterical, and an all-around liberating and excellent book.

Now, for those of you who did not do your homework and who did not read Lord of the Flies in your high school English class, Beauty Queens is about a bunch of pretty teenage girls crash-landing on a deserted island. And it's going to be tough for the survivors to, well, survive.

But don't you underestimate these Miss Teen Dreamers. They may seem pampered and spoiled and unaccustomed to change on the outside, but they're fierce competitors in the biggest beauty pageant in the entire country. So surviving on a deserted island should be no problem whatsoever.

Despite the stereotypes, these Teen Dreamers are not what everybody believes a Teen Dreamer should be. But sometimes a trip away from commercial society is exactly what a girl needs. No one to tell her how she should look or act or behave or be. Period. A girl can find herself when she's surrounded by others who are in the same boat and feel like they're suffocating under society's unrealistic standards.

Like I said, definitely a feminist text, but in the best possible way. It's witty, sarcastic, and funny. I've laughed out loud while reading this book and found myself sharing certain snippets of dialogue with friends and family who have no idea what goes on in the book. That's how I know a book is good.

When I said "funny" did I also mention random? Well . . . nah, I won't give it away. But trust me, some places make you reread it: half to make sure you read it right, and half to laugh again.

Anyway, in case you haven't already guessed, this book comes highly recommended by me. High school students and beyond. Girls will certainly love it, but guys may also enjoy it for its humor.

And the characters in the book aren't all giggling girly girls. These girls have all kinds of interests: comic books, journalism, DJ-ing, dancing, fashion. And, of course, competing in pageants. The girls are also of different ethnic and cultural backgrounds, gender identities, sexuality, physical types, and career goals. Odds are that everyone will relate to at least one character.

Hope you guys will check out the book (it's one of my favorites!) and that you'll check back later for more blog posts. Also, please follow me on Twitter and like my Facebook page for more updates. Until next time.

Happy reading!!

No comments:

Post a Comment