Search This Blog

Monday, August 11, 2014

More John Green

Hey, guys!

Guess what? I have read another book at my brother's recommendation and we disagree about how we feel about the ending. Like that's never happened before.

I asserted that everything in the book had built it up to the ending that was written. My brother admitted, "I am a selfish pig who wanted them to ride off into the sunset." Spoiler alert: they don't.

But anyway, life goes on and he'll get over it. Eventually.

This mystery book that I am speaking of is Paper Towns by John Green. Yes, more John Green. Read the title.

But I promise that although this book is not a ride-off-into-the-sunset happy ending, it is not nearly as tragic as say The Fault in Our Stars or Looking for Alaska. If they made a movie out of this book, I seriously doubt that I would cry at the end.

So, let's talk about Q: total worry-wort and not much of a risk-taker. I can relate to him already. Grew up across the street from Margo Roth Spiegelman in what she likes to refer to as - you guessed it - a paper town. Margo is a total enigma who loves getting into trouble. But it's not the poor dear's fault; her parents are jerks.

I should probably explain what a paper town is: fake and tacky. In other words, the people in paper towns go about their silly lives pretending the whole way. The illusion is security, but the truth is that they can crumble at the slightest breath of wind at any moment.

Well, one night after years of secret-admiring on Q's part and silence on both their parts, Margo Roth Spiegelman climbs through Q's bedroom window and invites him on a quest for revenge.

Turns out, her boyfriend's been cheating on her (what a jerk) and her friends are totally fake (high school, am I right?). So what does her eleven stage plan entail? Not gonna give it all away, but it involves embarrassing photos, stinky fish, and spray paint.

The next day, Q finds out that Margo has run away from home. Again. In the past, she ran away from home on spectacular adventures and then eventually returns home after the clues of her location go right over her parents' heads.

But this time is different. This time she doesn't come back. And the clues she leaves are for Q's eyes only. With a little help from his friends - Radar and Ben along with their girlfriends - Q will embark on a frustrating but exciting journey to discover the real Margo Roth Spiegelman, the one who no one has ever seen before.

Like many of John Green books, Paper Towns is a lesson in growing up and defining yourself and I highly recommend it for middle school and high school students and beyond. Plus, it's a quick read; I read it in a matter of days.

Also, it is really really funny. I caught myself smiling or laughing out loud in certain parts. My God, the BP scenes. Keep an eye out for it, guys. You'll know what I'm talking about and you'll laugh right along with me.

Okay, confession time: I started reading If I Stay and I only read the first chapter. I got distracted by another book. But I will get back to it eventually, I promise! So, I am currently rereading Uglies by Scott Westerfield. A review for that will be upcoming.

Anyway, hope you enjoyed, that you will like my Facebook page/follow me on Twitter, and that you will check in again tomorrow. Until next time.

Happy reading!!

No comments:

Post a Comment