Search This Blog

Thursday, August 28, 2014

Name Game

Hey, guys!

Really looking forward to today's writing exercise. I don't know why, but it appeals the creative side of my brain. Anyway, this is a fun one. Trust me.

So, although not a crucial aspect of creative fiction, character names do imply a lot about their character and can be symbolic in some ways.

For example, if you guys recall, I once posted a list of my favorite short stories, one of them being "Young Goodman Brown" by Nathaniel Hawthorne. The name Goodman Brown implies that the character is average (Goodman being a title similar to Mr. or Sir) since the surname Brown is so common. The fact that his name is the color brown also implies that he has muddy morals.

See what I mean? Okay, good.

So, that's what this writing exercise is: I'm going to give you a list of character names.

But wait! That's not all!

Many works of fiction and series involve a natural aspect. I'm thinking of stories taking place in nature or involving supernatural creatures, such as faeries or nymphs.

So, the names I have compiled are going to be derived from plants, trees, and herbs. And the challenge is that you should choose a plant name and base that character off of the characteristics of the plant.

For example, if I were to pick to name a character Onion, I would base that character's personality on the characteristics I associate with onions. The smell of onions makes me tear up when I chop them. Maybe Onion has an abrasive personality and can be cruel and make people cry without meaning to. Maybe he has a certain smell to him no matter how well or often he bathes.

It's completely up to you. But try to draw on the character of the plant: the smell and the taste; the appearance and color; whether it's edible, medicinal, or poisonous; whether people associate it with strength, healing, flavor, what have you.

Here we go.


1) Lilac

2) Sumac

3) Lily

4) Oak

5) Sage

6) Birch

7) Poppy

8) Basil

9) Ginger

10) Corriander

The possibilities are endless, so have fun.

Happy writing!!

No comments:

Post a Comment