Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 5, 2014

One of my Favorite Authors as a Kid

Hey, guys!

So, as many of you know, my favorite authors now are Libba Bray, James Dashner, Maggie Stiefvater, and Suzanne Collins. Well, when I was a kid, I plenty of favorites such as Roald Dahl, Lemony Snicket, and Cornelia Funke.

And I believe that the first book I read by Cornelia Funke was none other than The Thief Lord.As it always goes with books I read as a child, not a lot of this book was retained by the time I finished it. But don't worry, I reread it in my later years. And the story of Prosper and Bo was quite a story indeed.

Set in the beautiful floating city of Venice, Italy, The Thief Lord is a story of magic that speaks to your childhood in much the same way that Peter Pan does. Come to think of it, it's very similar to Peter Pan. And also kind of the polar opposite of Peter Pan at the same time. Quite a contradiction.

Anyway, Prosper and Bo are brothers and orphans. Bo is about to be adopted by their silly and cruel aunt and uncle who just want an adorable little boy to showcase as their son. And that means that Prosper will never see his little brother again.

So even though Bo can be a total pain, Prosper takes him and runs away. They are then taken in by a band of runaway children who live in an abandoned movie theater and live under the protection of the Thief Lord, who gifts the children with stolen goods that they may sell to a store owner and scammer for their well-being and health.

The Thief Lord is a mysterious and unknown entity and he has a dark secret that even those under his protection are not privy to.

Not to mention that Prosper and Bo's aunt has hired a private detective to find Bo and to bring him back to her. So, with a mysterious Thief Lord, a troublesome PI, and a sketchy conman, trouble is brewing.

It's actually been a while since I've read this book, but I did enjoy it and I do recommend it for middle school audiences and maybe even high school students or young adults who are in touch with their inner child. Like me.

And if you read this as a kid and enjoyed it, then I would recommend Cornelia Funke's other works, such as the Inkheart Trilogy for middle school and high school students, and Reckless for young adults.

If you would like to read reviews for the previous books, I would be happy to oblige. A word of warning, though: I haven't read Inkheart in forever and I don't remember much of what happened in Reckless, which I read while I was a hospital volunteer in high school. It helped pass the time.

Anyway, I hope you enjoyed the review. I apologize that it's shorter that what I usually write, but I don't remember everything that happens in the book. Alas, a general and vague summary is all I can accomplish for this one. Suffice it to say that even though I don't remember the whole book, I remember enjoying it.

Please comment with feedback and recommendations.

Happy reading!!

No comments:

Post a Comment