Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 27, 2014

More of The Raven Cycle

Hey, guys!!

As promised, I will now post a review for The Dream Thieves by Maggie Stiefvater, the second installment of The Raven Cycle. I will also make a different post either later tonight or tomorrow about my hiking adventures with my friends.

Okay, so the second book in the series has the same cast as the first, with a few additions. I'll get to the new characters in a bit. For now, let's focus on one old friend in particular.

Remember Ronan? Tough guy? Well, the sequel is about Ronan for the most part. Turns out that Ronan has a few secrets. One of them being that he can take objects from his dreams. What I mean is that he can dream of an object and take it with him. Anything from a pencil to a car. And the abilities that those objects had in his dreams exist in reality as well.

You can imagine that a lot of people would give Ronan trouble if they ever knew his secret. Like the Gray Man who is sent by his employer to search for the Greywaren, an artifact that allows the user to take objects from dreams. Like every other treasure hunter who may have caught a whiff of magic in the small town of Henrietta, Virginia.

Did I mention that his father had this same ability before he died? Did I also mention that I made a mistake in my review about the first book? Hehe, whoops. My mistake was that I said that Ronan's father had committed suicide. He was actually found murdered, bludgeoned with a tire iron. And according to his father's will, Ronan and his two brothers will inherit the family fortune on the condition that neither of them goes home again. If they so much as set foot on the property, they would be breaking the law.

There's also a lot of subplots to keep a reader entertained. Like Kavinsky, local druggie who likes to street race and blow stuff up. He's been giving Ronan some trouble. And then there's Adam. After what happened at the end of Book 1 (no spoilers, I promise!) he's been going through a lot of changes that are quite interesting (and he thought puberty was bad).

And then there's Gansey and his search for Glendower. But how can he do that when the ley lines are out of whack and Cabeswater (a place of magic that resided directly on one of the ley lines) has disappeared?

And what about Blue? wouldn't you imagine that she's getting kind of tired of having to keep her lips to herself? Remember, every psychic she knows tells her the same thing: her kiss will cause the death of her true love. And as a precaution, she never kisses anybody. When you think about it, it's one thing to not have anybody to kiss, but something else altogether to have someone right in front of you and not be able to even kiss him/her. That would be enough to drive me mad.

Suffice it to say that this book is making me crazy for the third book, and crazy to know if the third book is the final book in the series. Unfortunately, Blue Lily, Lily Blue by Maggie Stiefvater does not come out until October 21, 2014. But have no fear, I will keep my eye out for it. Until then, if you have read The Raven Boys or like what you read about the series, I strongly suggest giving the series a try.

As always, I hope you enjoyed this review. Leave a comment if there is a specific book you would like me to read or review. I have gotten several suggestions already for more Stephen King and one for a James Patterson book. I've never read James Patterson before, but I'm willing to give it a go. I've also got the other library book I told you about, and I was halfway through another book on my Kindle before stopping because something had distracted me. So, no worries, plenty of reviews to come :)

Happy reading!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment