Search This Blog

Sunday, May 11, 2014

Writing Exercise

Hey guys!

Finals week has been over for me since Thursday and my vacation has finally started. So the good news is that I will have more time to read awesome books and write more blog posts. I am pleased to report that I am past the halfway mark in Wicked Lovely by Melissa Marr and I am enjoying it so far.

Until I finish the book, however, how about the first ever writing exercise?

Keep in mind, you guys are free to try out the writing exercise for yourself and post what you come up with in the comments, and come tomorrow I will post my result in a new blog tomorrow.

Are you ready for it? Because here it is.

Write: Listen to a song. It could be a song you love, a song you hate, or a song you have mixed feelings about. It could be an oldies, a new top 40s, dupstep, classical, square-dancing, whatever. Anyway, pick one song, listen to it a few times, and write about what that song makes you think of. You may write a narrative from your childhood that that song reminds you of, a poem, a short story featuring the conflict from the song or a character based off of the mood of that song, anything your dear little heart desires.

I've actually used this writing exercise before. The first time was when I was taking the creative writing course back in high school and we had an assignment to come up with a writing exercise and lead the class through the exercise. This is the writing exercise I had created for the class, and it was a lot of fun.

I also had quite a few listening assignments for the music appreciation course I took this past semester where we had to listen to a specific song, excerpt, or collection of songs and describe what we listened to. Oftentimes for these assignments, I wrote a little narrative that I heard in the song.

I really hope you guys try this writing exercise, that you enjoy it, and that you will post your results in the comments. Don't be shy. Just be sure to post the title of the song you used and the name of the artist when you post your results and please be respectful of each other when you do post comments. Check in tomorrow and I will have my results of this writing exercise posted. Also, continue checking my blog later in the week for my new review for Wicked Lovely because I am going to be close to finishing it soon.

Happy reading! Oops, I mean, happy writing!

No comments:

Post a Comment