Search This Blog

Sunday, May 4, 2014

Middle School Throwback

Hey guys!

Right now, I'm reading Wicked Lovely by Melissa Marr and, honestly, I'm only a few chapters into the book. I know, that's kind of sad, but I've really only been reading a chapter or two at night before bed, so I kind of have an excuse. Especially since finals are this week (I don't have any exams tomorrow, though, so I'll be studying). That's my official reason, but if I'm being completely honest, I'm not that into it yet. I don't know what it is, but every time I pick up a book about faeries I can't wait to start reading, but once I actually start reading the book it just doesn't do it for me. I promise, though, I will finish the book.

In the meantime, I thought I would make a quick post about one of my favorite books that I read back in middle school. You know, back when the class actually took trips to the school's library and had SSR. I gotta say sometimes I miss those days. So this book, Goose Chase by Patrice Kindl, is a really cute and fun princess story, and this is coming from a girl who isn't big on reading about princesses.

It's funny because I actually walked into a local independent book store about a year ago or so and found this book on the shelves in the pre-teen section. The cover art was different, but the title rang a bell. Wait a minute, I thought, is that the same book that I'm thinking of? So I read part of the first chapter and as soon as I read "the King has got a heart like a lump of coal: black and stony" on the second page, I knew it was the same book. That was one of the few lines that had stuck out at me as a fifth grader. So, of course I had to get the book. How could I not? And what's awesome is that I loved it just as much as an adult as I did as a kid. So yeah, I would definitely recommend it to someone in elementary or middle school, but if you're in high school or college - even if you are well into your thirties or forties - why not get in touch with your inner child?

And the great thing about this book is that it's got pretty much everything: princes and princesses, ogres and towers, benevolent spells that result in burdens and magic hair. And, yes, geese.

The main character doesn't properly introduce herself until Chapter Two as Alexandria Aurora Fortunato, an orphan girl in a tower with only her geese for company and her two suitors. Bachelor #1 is King Claudio the Cruel, a man only interested in taking Alexandria as his wife so that he may get rich from her golden dandruff and diamond tears. Bachelor #2 is Prince Edmund of Dorloo, an apparent buffoon who talks too much. Seems like a nice guy, but Alexandria doesn't have much interest in marrying him. Besides, if she did marry the prince, the king would probably just kill him. Quite the conundrum.

Both men are getting tired of waiting for an answer from her, and the only reason she's been able to procrastinate accepting either man's hand is by saying that she must sew her own golden wedding garments. Imagine how often she's made mistakes in her embroidery and had to start over. Wouldn't you?

But regardless of how many "mistakes" she makes, she can't procrastinate forever, so it's accept or escape. And escape she does - with the help of her geese - and sets off on a fantastic adventure with her twelve geese. I won't say anymore because I don't want to spoil anything for those of you who plan on reading this awesome book. It's a fun adventure and it is told in the hilarious voice of Alexandria Aurora Fortunato. I also can't get enough of Prince Edmund. He's kind of an idiot, but he's a lovable idiot and he's too funny. I was just reading a quick excerpt and had to stop myself from laughing out loud (it's late and people are sleeping).

Anyway, definitely check it out if you're looking for a good laugh. Thanks for reading my blog, comment if you want a review on a specific book or author, and follow if you'd like to see more. A review on Wicked Lovely is coming soon, and so are those writing exercises I mentioned before. Stay awesome, guys.

Happy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment