Search This Blog

Monday, June 30, 2014

Please finish the book

Hey, guys!

So, I read this book a couple of months back at my brother's recommendation. Let me explain to you guys what a big deal that is. Bottom line, my brother isn't a huge reader. So when he recommends a book to his older sister (who practically has her own library in her bedroom) there's a good chance that said book is going to be good.

Another thing, the books my brother usually recommends are by John Green. So, yes, he recommended The Fault in Our Stars to me and, yes, it was amazing. And this review is a book by John Green and is just as famous as TFiOS. Yes, I'm talking about Looking for Alaska.

The story takes place in the South at a boarding school for high school students. That's where Miles starts as a freshman, and where he meets the Colonel (his roommate), Tamaki (no one can catch the fox), and, of course, (the beautiful, the interesting, the crazy) Alaska Young. Miles is now dubbed "Pudge" and actually has friends. Friends who love pranking.

Seriously, when they're not hanging out and being rebellious teenagers, they're thinking of what pranks they're going to pull on the popular jerks. And, of course, there's the ultimate prank.

But you'll have to find out about that on your own.

Anyway, Pudge isn't usually the one with a lot of friends. So when he meets the Colonel, Alaska, and Tamaki, he tries his best to keep up with them. And that means getting in on their prank plans. Even if it means getting in trouble. And starting unfavorable habits. Not that it's a bad thing, but it's something that I wouldn't do. (Because I am a goody-goody-two-shoes. And I'm not just saying that because my family reads this blog . . . really, I'm not.)

And now for Alaska. Like I said: beautiful, interesting, crazy. Easy to fall in love with. So of course she has a boyfriend.

But she has a pretty tragic past and that's where the crazy part comes in. No, she's not actually crazy, I only use that term loosely. She's just moody and can be a bit of a witch, which is understandable. But she has betrayed some people when it suited her best, which is less understandable to her friends.

Anyway, yeah, tragic.

So, of course it's sad. Be forewarned. I mean, it doesn't come as much of a surprise. For one thing, it is John Green. For another thing, you can kind of see the sad part coming.

Now, the reason for the title of this post: please finish the book, because my brother didn't. He says that the ending was dragged out and that the last few pages weren't worth reading. But I actually read it and I say that it is worth reading to the end. Sorry, it's just one of my pet peeves when someone doesn't finish the ding-dong book.

I recommend it as a coming-of-age book for teens and young adults (I'm not going to recommend it for the little ones, because there is alcohol and drugs and sexual content). Just a good reference for the future: if my brother recommended it to me, then it's usually worth reading. Like I said, he's not much of a reader, so if he likes a book then it has to be good.

Hope you enjoyed this review. I apologize if it's shorter than others that I have written, but it's hard to judge length when I'm working on a computer with a bigger screen (because my laptop is a five-year-old piece of crap). More posts to come in the following days. Comment with a book title you are dying for a review about or with a title for a list you really want me to write.

Happy reading!!

No comments:

Post a Comment