Search This Blog

Monday, June 23, 2014

Monday Throwback

Hey, guys!

I know, I'm being very bad. I haven't written a post in a couple of days now, and after last week, I really don't have much of an excuse. But like I said, it's a lot easier to find time to write outlines of reviews than it is to find time to write them.

And, yes, I know that sounds totally lame. But it's even worse when the battery in my laptop is shot and causes my computer to shut off at regular intervals. And, yes, that happens while I'm writing a post. In fact, it just happened and I had to write the previous sentence over again. You see what I mean?

Anyway, I'm making progress on The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath. After that I have two more library books to read, and after that I can finish Pet Sematary by Stephen King . . . I hear that that one's uber creepy.

So, for now, I thought I would write a review for a book I read back in middle school. I was about twelve when I read this (and I didn't have such a heart of stone back then) so I did cry when I read the book. I'm not sure if I would cry if I were to read it now. Maybe not, since I know what happens. Then again, I knew what would happen at the end of The Fault in Our Stars by John Green and I still cried like a baby when I saw the movie.

Anyway, the book I'm talking about now is So B. It by Sarah Weeks. If I recall correctly, it is an excellent book. But it is sad.

It's about a girl named Heidi who is the child of a mentally challenged mother. They live in an apartment together next door to their neighbor, Bernadette. Bernie is practically their care-giver, since neither Heidi nor her mother have anyone else.

But Heidi isn't content with what she has. Because her mother is only able to say a few words, Heidi knows little about who she is or where she came from. Heidi doesn't know who her father is or when her birthday is. In fact, as far as she knows, her mother's name is So B. It, since that is all she says when asked.

There are so few things her mother can say that they can be listed on a sheet of notebook paper. One of these words is "soof."

After a while, enough is enough and Heidi buys a train ticket to go and find the man she thinks is her father. But what she finds is not exactly what she expects, nor is what comes after.

If you want to find out what Heidi finds (or if you want to cry like a baby the way I did when I read it as a twelve-year-old), then give this book a try. I recommend it for middle school students, and those coming of age in general. It's a pretty good read.

Oh, and get this, guys. Remember when I said that there is a list of the words that Heidi's mother can say? Well, turns out that making lists is one of Heidi's favorite pastimes. She makes lists about everything. And that gave me an idea.

If it turns out that I'm too busy to write a blog (and that I'm too lazy to write a few ahead of time), instead I will post a list.

Sounds boring, huh? But hear me out. They don't have to be boring lists. They can be lists about my favorite books, movies, songs, and foods. It could be a list of things I hate. It could be an updated bucket list. It could be a list of really awesome words. Or a list of ways to describe an emotion. Or the senses associated with a certain place. See? List-making is good for creative writing, too.

So, since it probably is a lot to ask of you guys to do a writing exercise with me and post it on the Internet (believe me, I don't blame you, guys) why not post your own lists based off of the topic I picked for my lists in the comments? That seems a bit more manageable, no?

Okay, guys, that's it for this post. Hope you enjoyed this review and hope that you like my new idea. Leave a comment if you have any feedback and requests.

Happy reading!!

No comments:

Post a Comment