Search This Blog

Monday, June 9, 2014

So many feels . . .

Hey, guys!!

It's about time I did a review for The Fault in Our Stars by John Green. It shouldn't have taken me so long, but I had just seen the movie and it definitely lived up to expectations. So if you're not interested in reading the book (shame on you!) I still recommend the movie, because it was amazing. But be forewarned that the book and the movie will rip your heart out. Seriously, I cried so much. I burst into tears sometime near the end, calmed down, and then cried even more when I got to the bathroom.

But it's okay, I knew that would happen. I stuffed a bunch of tissues in my purse. So many tears.

Anyway, many of you probably know what the story is about already, but if you don't maybe this will be the proper motivation to check out the book or go see the movie and then go cry in the corner. But don't worry, it's a funny story . . . it just has a bad habit of ripping out your heart after making you laugh.

So, Hazel Grace Lancaster, cancer patient. Diagnosed with thyroid cancer when she was a young teenager and now requires an oxygen tank to travel with her since she often gets fluids in her lungs. Forced to go to support group to combat alleged depression by being around kids her age who know what it's like to have cancer.

That's where she meets Augustus Waters. Lost his leg to cancer. Currently in remission with a high chance of survival. Confident, funny, and fond of metaphors. The one thing that Augustus is afraid of: oblivion. He wants to be remembered by all. He wants to be a hero. And Hazel Grace disagrees because oblivion is inevitable. Everybody will be dead eventually. Cheery, right?

And that's how their love story begins, my friends. Sure, Hazel Grace is reluctant at first. After all, there's not much chance that she will live long and the last thing she would want to do is hurt Gus. But it can't really be helped.

They bond, they exchange copies of their favorite books. They fall in love. They learn to live with the knowledge that they will eventually lose each other to cancer. But it still doesn't really prepare them for what happens. Does anybody else hear the sound of my heart breaking or is that just me?

But don't get me wrong, the book isn't a downer. Along with their friend from support group, Isaac, Hazel Grace and Augustus have a lot of fun together (the guys love video games).

Amazing book. Highly recommend it. The movie is amazing as well, and I recommend it for when one is not quite sure whether they want a movie to make them laugh or cry, because this movie will do both. Just have a box of tissues ready. I came pretty close to sobbing.

Well, that's it for this review. Before I end this post, I would like to inform you all that I have picked up a fresh batch of library books (five, to be exact . . . I broke my own rule for a three book limit). I have already finished one book, I Am the Cheese by Robert Cormier, and a review for that will be posted tomorrow. The next book to read on my list is Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist by Rachel Cohn and David Levithan and hopefully a review for that will be on the way soon (it looks like a short read).

Hope you all enjoyed :)

Happy reading!!

No comments:

Post a Comment