Search This Blog

Sunday, April 27, 2014

To hold you over until finals week is over . . .

Hey guys!

I was so excited to see all the page views from the last post! It really means a lot to me to know that people are reading my blog. If you like my blog, be sure to leave comments recommending a specific book or an author for me. Also, follow my page if you would like to be the first to know when I leave a new post. Okay, now for one of my favorite books ever.

The first time I've read this book was during my senior year of high school for a literary criticisms research paper. We got to pick our own books, so I read The Color Purple by Alice Walker. I actually had to read it twice, if you can believe it. I read it once over because I had to read it, and I enjoyed it so much that I finished it really quick. I had to reread it though because it never crossed my mind the first time around that this is a book that I have to write a paper on and that it would probably be a good idea to use sticky notes. It took me a little longer to read it the second time. There were so many sticky notes that the book basically doubled in size from all the paper. It was worth reading twice for that paper, though, since I usually don't pick up on symbolism and metaphor and all that good stuff until the second time around. Plus, I got an A on the paper, so that helps.

I actually had to read the book again last semester for my women's studies class, Feminisms and the Arts. Did you think that I would be tired reading the same book three times? Well, guess what? I wasn't.

This is really a book that everyone should read, and I'm talking teens, young adults, not-so-young adults. Everyone. I would even recommend reading this book more than once because it is such an important work of literature because it takes almost every social injustice in the book and brings it to light.

The story is about a young black woman named Celie who has endured abuse her whole life, has had her children and her younger sister taken from her, and is denied nearly every happiness that comes her way. So she writes letters to God and to her sister, Nettie, about her life and what has happened to her, simply because there is no one else who loves her and who will listen to her. Her abusive husband is another of her tormentors, and she can only find comfort in Shug, a Blues singer and her husband's old girlfriend.

Alice Walker's novel is a champion for women, African Americans, victims of abuse, members of the LGBTQ community, and for everyone and anyone who has ever known what it is like to be voiceless. Even if you do not consider yourself one of the above, I still highly recommend this book.

Hope you guys enjoyed! Just one more week before finals, and then you can look forward to many more posts at a much (hopefully) higher frequency. As a preview, I will be soon be reading Of Beast and Beauty by Stacey Jay, The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath, Wicked Lovely by Melissa Marr, and The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater. While I read those, I may post reviews for books I have already read, by authors such as Libba Bray, Maggie Stiefvater, and Stephen King. Be sure to keep checking my blog for new posts.

Happy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment