Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Writing Prompt

Hey, guys!

For this writing prompt, I thought I would ask you all to look back on the holidays, whether you celebrate Christmas, Kwanzaa, Hanukkah, or any other holiday during any other time of the year.

Think back on whichever holiday you want and write about your family's traditions. For example, every Christmas Eve, I have dinner with my family at my great aunt's house so I can see all of my mom's cousins and we all eat amazing food, open some presents, that kind of thing. On Christmas day, we open presents in the morning and then have dinner in the early evening with my aunt, uncle, and little cousins. On New Year's Day, my mom, my brother, and I usually go bowling with my great aunt and my mom's cousins.

These are the kinds of traditions I'm talking about. The traditions could be something like this (just getting together with family to eat and talk), or it could be something completely different. Maybe you go to Time Square every New Year's Eve. Maybe you and your spouse go out on a special date on Valentine's Day. Maybe you only ever drink on St. Patrick's Day.

Any of these could be the perfect setting for a short story, or even the beginning of a novel. You don't necessarily have to write it from your own perspective; it could be from the perspective of a friend or family member, or maybe a character of your own creation.

This tradition does not even have to happen the way it always does. Maybe something totally bizarre happens that could be the major plot. It's entirely up to you how you want to write it.

Check back tomorrow for a new book review.

Happy writing!!

No comments:

Post a Comment